How To Steam Carrots In Microwave? – 3 Foolproof Ways For A Healthy Snack
Without a doubt, steaming vegetables is a healthy option. While you can eat your carrots raw, steaming brings out its natural sweetness.
There is more than one way of steaming your carrots. If you are in a hurry, you can pop baby carrots in the microwave, and you’ll have an instant snack.
In this article, we will share the method of how to steam carrots in microwave—and more.
Steam Carrots In The Microwave
This method is quick and convenient. How long to steam carrots in microwave? It just takes a minute!
However, checking your carrot’s doneness may pose a bit of a challenge. If you are up to it, then follow these steps on how to steam carrots in microwave:
- Rinse your carrots.
- Trim, peel, and cut them to your desired size. You may quickly rinse it again with running water after cutting.
- Then, with water still clinging to your carrots, place them in a large microwave-safe bowl. You should see a pool of water at the bottom of the bowl. If you don’t, add one to two tablespoons of water.
- Cover the bowl with a microwave-safe lid. The lid should have holes for venting. Do not use plastic wraps.
- Place the bowl in the microwave. Set it on high for 1 minute.
- Check the carrot with a fork if it is tender to your liking. If not, put the carrots back in the microwave. Steam them with 30 seconds interval until you achieve your desired result.
- Take out the bowl and drain excess water with a strainer.
- Serve the carrots with a sprinkle of salt, or any herbs that you prefer.
Steam Carrots In A Pan
Using a frying pan is a classic method to steam carrots. You do not need any special equipment—just your dependable frying pan and your stove.
- Rinse your carrots.
- Trim, peel, and chop them to your desired size.
- In your clean frying or saute pan, pour half an inch of salted water.
- Place your carrots into the pan. Cover the pan.
- Turn on your stove and let the water simmer for 5 minutes until your carrots are tender.
- Cook a little longer if you want your carrots to be more tender.
- Drain excess water with a strainer and serve with your preferred seasoning.
Steam Carrots Using A Steamer Basket
Using a steamer basket is probably the most classic way to steam carrots. Try it out with these simple steps:
- In a pot, pour about an inch of water. Make sure that your steamer basket fits into this pot.
- Bring the water to a boil.
- Place your carrots—rinsed, trimmed, and chopped—in the steamer basket and submerge them in boiling water. Cover the pot for five minutes.
- If you want more tender carrots, soak it in hot water for 10 minutes.
- Once the carrots are tender to your liking, take out the steamer basket from the pot.
- Serve with your favorite seasoning and enjoy!
If you only got a few minutes, follow the steps on how to steam carrots in microwave listed in this article. Or, you can also try steaming them in a pan or using a steamer basket.
Always go for the healthy options!