How To Defrost Chicken Legs In A Microwave: Easy Tips
We can prepare chicken in so many ways, it's become a lunch and dinner staple, but preparation doesn't start with cooking. It starts in the freezer. We know it's easy to press buttons in a microwave, but do you know how to defrost chicken legs in microwave the right way? Let's check out some of these tips in this article.
Easy Tips For Defrosting Chicken In A Microwave
Most modern microwave models offer the "defrost" option. If this feature isn't available, you can check for your microwave's manual for specific instructions on how to defrost chicken legs in microwave the right way.
Generally, you can follow these steps:
- Step 1 - Don't defrost all the pieces at once so it can heat evenly.
- Step 2 - Place a serving or two of the chicken in a microwaveable plate or container.
- Step 3 - Select the 'defrost' feature in your microwave for one minute.
- Step 4 - Check whether the chicken thawed.
- Step 5 - Put the chicken back inside the microwave and repeat step 4 to 5 in one-minute intervals.
- Step 6 - When the chicken has thawed, cook it immediately.
Note: Do not leave the chicken in the microwave too long, so it does not reach a temperature unsafe for consumption.
If your microwave does not have a 'defrost' feature, you can do the following:
- Step 1 - Set the microwave power to 20 percent or 30 percent, which in some models translate to 'Level 2.'
- Step 2 - Set the timer to one minute and check the chicken with one-minute intervals.
- Step 3 - If your microwave does not automatically rotate the chicken, you can flip it every time you open to check it.
- Step 4 - When flipping chicken, use a utensil, and not your hands to avoid cross-contamination.
- Step 5 - It will take at least 5 minutes for the chicken to thaw completely. You may add or reduce this time if needed.
- Step 6 - Cook the thawed chicken immediately to stop the spread of bacteria.
Reminders When Defrosting Chicken
Knowing how to defrost chicken legs in microwave the right way is essential. Poorly thawed meat causes deadly and harmful foodborne illnesses. There are three ways to thaw chicken safely:
- Thaw chicken using a microwave
- Thaw chicken using cold water
- Thaw chicken using a refrigerator
Some people recommend that you don't thaw at all, and go ahead and cook chicken meat while it's frozen. It takes time, but it's safe.
Here are some reminders for safe chicken defrosting:
- Do not slow cook frozen chicken.
- Do not thaw chicken in running water.
- Do not thaw chicken at room temperature.
Defrosting chicken is tricky because bacteria can multiply at a specific temperature. That's why it's crucial to know how to defrost chicken legs in microwave so you can safely enjoy your meals.