How To Clean A Smelly Microwave: Reliable Hacks And More
Accidental oil or soup splatters are commonplace if you constantly forget putting on the lid of your microwave-safe containers or plates.
Wipe off oil droplets and food residues immediately. If you don’t, these residues will get burnt during your succeeding microwave sessions. Worse, your microwave and food will smell unpleasant.
How to clean a smelly microwave? We have listed hacks that will surely work for you. Learn as you read on.
Deodorizers That Work
You can use household items to deodorize your microwave. These hacks on how to make microwave smell better are convenient and inexpensive.
Vinegar is a common household item. You may usually use it for cooking. But, do you know that it is also an effective cleaning agent and deodorizer for kitchen tools and equipment?
- Fill ½ of a microwave-safe container with water.
- Then, add a tablespoon of white vinegar.
- Heat it in the microwave for two minutes.
- Keep the microwave door closed and let the mixture sit for 15 minutes. This will eliminate bad odors and even moisten stubborn grease stains inside your microwave.
- Take out the container and wipe the interior with a damp towel.
A Splash Of Citrus
Who does not love the citrus scent? If you want to make your microwave smell fresh as this fruit, you can follow these steps:
- Take a lemon and slice it in half. Or, peel two oranges.
- Put the lemon or orange peels in a microwave-safe bowl filled with two cups of water.
- Microwave them for four minutes. Keep an eye on your bowl, making sure it does not dry up and the fruits are not getting burned.
- After, keep the microwave door shut and leave the bowl inside the appliance for 12 hours. This will eliminate bad odors and even moisten stubborn grease stains inside your microwave.
- Then, take out the bowl.
- Wipe down the interior with a damp towel.
After this procedure, your microwave should smell fruity—not smelly.
Steps To Clean Grease Off Of Your Microwave Vent
Regularly cleaning your appliance is key on how to get your microwave to smell good all the time.
First of all, unplug the microwave before starting the cleaning process. Make sure that your microwave’s interior is cool to avoid injury.
Follow these steps on how to clean your microwave:
- Wipe down the interior of your microwave with a damp towel. Remove or pick large food residues inside.
- Remove the microwave plate and carousel.
- Wash them with water and dishwashing soap. Use a sponge to remove stubborn grease stains.
- Soak a towel with your preferred cleaning solution (commercial all-purpose cleaner, water and vinegar, or lemon and water).
- Wring the towel properly. Wipe down the interior and scrub the vents with it.
- Then, wipe dry the interior with a clean, dry towel. Or, leave your microwave open for a few hours to air dry.
- After cleaning the interior, proceed to cleaning your microwave’s exterior.
- Use a damp cloth or a towel soaked in your cleaning solution. Make sure that you wring it properly, so it is not dripping wet. Then, dry the exterior with a clean towel.
How to clean smelly microwave is simple, but it requires time and effort to do it the right way. Do not worry; it sure is worth it. A clean microwave gives you more confidence in cooking and preparing delicious meals for yourself and your family.