How To Clean A Microwave Filter
The over-the-range microwave comes with filters such as grease filter and charcoal filter. These filters need to be removed from the microwave for regular proper cleaning and replacement to function well. Let us find out how to clean microwave filter.
Microwave grease filter aids in purifying the air while you cook. Follow the steps below on how you can clean your microwave grease filter.
- Step 1. Search for the microwave grease filter. It is commonly found below the microwave, just above your stovetop.
- Step 2. Next, try to take out the grease filter. It should be easy, as you will just have to slide it out from its housing. For others, you will need to snap it out, but it is still easy, and you will not need any special tool to take it off the microwave.
- Step 3. Prepare a basin with a mixture of hot water and soap. You can also put some baking soda. Although it is optional, this will give you a hand in cleaning the filter, especially if it is extra dirty.
- Step 4. Put the grease filter in the soapy water and sit there for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Step 5. After the soaking process, pick up a scrub or an old toothbrush and then gently scrub the grease filter.
- Step 6. Once you have taken out all the grease and dirt that sticks in the grease filter, thoroughly wash it again in hot water.
- Step 7. Get a paper towel or clean piece of cloth and wipe the grease filter dry.
- Step 8. Once you are sure that it is completely dry, slide it back in the microwave. Your microwave is ready to be used again.
Aside from the grease filter, you will also need to clean the charcoal filter. Charcoal filter helps eliminate the unpleasant odor from what you are cooking. However, unlike the grease filter, a charcoal filter is disposable. Make sure to replace it every six months. Here are the basic steps to follow on how to replace the charcoal filter in your microwave.
- Step 1. Remove the charcoal filter from the microwave. It is advisable to refer to the user manual of the microwave for you to know the exact location of the charcoal filter and the proper way of removing it.
- Step 2. Once you got the charcoal filter, make sure to dispose it properly.
- Step 3. Get your new charcoal filter and put it where you got the old one. Make sure that it is securely positioned in the microwave before sealing it back.
- Step 4. Note that buying charcoal filters vary based on your microwave model. Make sure to check the model first and buy the filter that is compatible with the model.
Learning how to clean microwave filter will go a long way. Keeping things clean will always guarantee optimal performance. This doesn't just apply to microwaves but to all the appliances you have.